Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Prayer of the Drunken Motorist

Now I lay me down to drink.
I pray thee, Lord, don't let me think
Of my little ones at home, my wife,
praying yet Lord to save my life.

Let me wallow with drunken speed.
I've proved to thee Lord that I can't need
Your grace tonight; I'm filled with cheer
I've tipped the bottom of a pack o' beer.

Though my face is red and my reflex slow,
I'm a lion tonight, so let me go
To the grave alone where a worm can chew
The last effects of a bottle of brew.

What jangling crash? What hideous roar ?
Doth fill my ears as the motor doth soar
Through my chest, my life, liberates my soul
Onward like lightening till it reaches its goal.

Where, O Lord, have I failed in life ?
You gave me, Father, a wonderful wife,
Three children at home, and they'll bear the shame
Of an ungodly father, a drunkard--the same.

You granted me, Lord, strength in my youth.
then I lifted my head, my heart grew aloof
I was proud of myself, I dabbled in sin
Till you slashed through my thread,
said "Enough. It's the end."

Vester Cooper
c 2008 Vester Cooper Trust. All rights reserved.

No comments: