Sunday, October 12, 2008

Jared

Jared was a little guy.
He lived with Mom and Dad.
And boots just like his Grandpa's
Were the only kind he had.

He was tough like the knotty oak
When with Grandpa he did play.
"Just spank me harder Grandpa,"
The little guy did say.

"Now run and play," Grandpa would say.
"I think I spanked you red."
"It didn't even hurt a bit,"
Is what he always said.

He played with all the kids around,
This plucky little guy.
And even if he did get hurt
Would seldom ever cry.

He knew about the plants and seeds
And liked to see them grow,
And if he saw a new one,
All about it he must know.

He played about so happily
And never ran away.
Somehow the laces in his boots
It seemed would never stay.

He said "I think they are too hard
To get on that away.

" 'Sides, Grandpa don't have none in his.
I like them right this way.
And if I wear them just like this
And wear Grandpa's hat too,
I can walk around and look about
Just like my Grandpa do."

Vester Cooper
c 2008. Vester Cooper Trust. All rights reserved

No comments: