Sunday, October 12, 2008

Oh I Went To Church Last Sunday

Oh I went to church last Sunday,
And the preacher preached the word.
Then I wondered and I pondered
All the things that I had heard.

All have sinned, the preacher told us,
But if we would come today
And confess our sins to Jesus
He would cleanse them all away.

So I hurried to the altar
On my knees began to pray
And I said, "Oh dear Lord Jesus,
Please, please take my sins away."

Then I felt the love of Jesus
Flow into my sin-sick soul,
And my sins were all forgiven
For his blood had made me whole.

Then I cried "Oh thank you, Jesus,
But I have no way to pray.
Please just let me be your love slave
And just live for you always."

Then he smiled and said "I'll help you,
And went home with me that day.
Now I have his Holy Spirit living deep within my heart
And from such a glorious master I never will depart.

Vester Cooper
c 2008. Vester Cooper Trust. All Rights reserved

2 comments:

Lady M said...

What wonderful poems! Vester was the brother of my grandfather, Warner Cooper. Our family visited Uncle Vester and Aunt Zona a couple of times in the early 90's. They were wonderful people, and even though I was quite young at the time, I enjoyed those visits very much. I did not realize that he wrote poetry. Thank you for sharing his poems in this way!

Unknown said...

Do you have the poem Teddy Boy? I have it. I love that poem. I used to read it to people all the time. I was and am so proud of Uncle Vester.